We want to put everything natural, organic in our body so we could know what are we dealing with. But, let’s remember that fact when we want to dye our hair. It seems it will be okay, but we cannot go cheap on it, if we’re doing with artificial hair colors. That said, there’s a great alternative to all the expensive “natural” hair darkening dyes, and if you read the title correctly, yes, it’s coffee!
Coffee is one of the most popular beverages in the world, being consumed everyday by almost everyone, so there’s no chance that you won’t be able to proper coffee for your hair treatment and dye. You can use almost any coffee you find, either it being an “arabica”,”robusta” or even generic, cheap, store bought coffee.
Word of advice! Do not use instant coffee for treatment and dyeing. It isn’t fully natural, and you wouldn’t like using non organic, non natural products, would you? Instant coffee has many unknown chemicals, which could damage your hair, instead of repairing it.
So, how do you dye your hair with coffee?
- Prepare your coffee, about 3-4 cups, depending on your hair amount. The stronger the coffee, the darker roast of beans means more oils, and that is what you’re looking to achieve.
- Let it cool down. Do not use hot coffee, as it may damage your scalp, as it is more heat sensitive than your fingers and arms.
- Wash your hair with your usual shampoo and/or conditioner. Do not dry your hair yet.
- Start pouring cold coffee over your head, from the scalp and roots to the ends of your hair. Be sure that you cover every part of your hair.
- Rest for about 20 to 30 minutes, letting the coffee infuse in your hair, wear a hair mask or an old towel.
- Rinse it off with either lukewarm water, or even beer, as it will conceal the color in your hair even better. Just rinse it off with lukewarm water 3 minutes later.
And there you have it! Your hair is fresher, smoother and darker! I recommend to do this dye once a couple months, just to retain the color. But, never forget, that everybody is different, and it may wash of quicker or later, so act accordingly depending on the situation.
Coffee ground hair therapy
If you want your hair to be even healthier, you can also use coffee grounds with coffee itself. Follow these instructions if you wish your hair to be shinier, healthier and stronger!
Word of caution! Despite it being amazing at making your hair darker, coffee stains clothes, towels and is difficult to wash out.
- Prepare the coffee in a way that it would still preserve the grounds.
- Let the grounds cool down before you use it, use about 35 grams of coffee (8 tablespoons).
- Wash your hair with shampoo or conditioner.
- Mix the coffee grounds into your hair, letting them do their work.
- Wait for about 30 minutes, wear a hair mask or and old towel.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and enjoy the color!
There you go! It’s easy as it gets, effective as expensive hair products, but it can get a bit messy, and if it does, here’s a couple tips to help you clean it off.
- Cotton based clothing or tablecloth stains can be cleaned with a vinegar soaked towel.
- For carpet stains – use a bit of beer, just rub it in, and after a couple tries it should be gone.
- Club soda should help you get rid of a stain in your clothes, just pour it until the stain is nowhere to be seen.